Brinjal gravy recipes cooking method
Brinjal gravy or baingan gravy is prepared with baby brinjals,spring
onions bulbs,tomato,ginger,butter & oil along with pudhina ,green
coriander leaves .
Ingredients for Brinjal gravy recipe:
Baby Brinjals (not more than 2" long) 10-12 full ones.
Pudhina (mint) leaves one bunch
Green Coriander leaves - one bunch
Green Chillies 3 to 5
Ginger 1/2" piece
Spring Onion bulbs 8 -10
Tomato 1 (medium size)
Dhania (coriander powder 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder 1/4 tea spoon
Red Chilly powder 1/4 tea spoon
Oil 8 table spoons
Cream / Fresh Butter for garnishing.
Method of cooking Brinjal gravy
Wash brinjals thoroughly ,remove the stems ,but do not remove the crown
,cut lengthwise up to half of the brinjal or up to ¾ leave the
remaining portion un slit .Keep
• Wash the brinjals and remove the stems; do not remove the crown;
slit into four (upto half of the brinjal); keep them in water as otherwise
they will turn black & bitter some times.
• Clean the pudina, coriander leaves; and keep them aside; cut the
spring onion bulbs into four.
• Grind in the chutney jar of your mixie the following together:
pudina; green chillies; ginger (after cleaning of course); coriander leaves
and spring onion bulbs to a very nice paste: half way down add the tomato
and blend. Add no water. Add 1/2 tea spoon salt in the gravy.
• Stuff the brinjal slits with the chutney liberally.
• In a kadai (or a thick bottomed vessel) heat the oil and drop
the brinjals slowly one after other; keep the flame (heat) very low; once
the brinjals are dropped add the turmeric powder, the chilly powder and
the dhania powder one after another. If there is chutney still left add
• Cover the kadai / vessel with a plate and pour cold water on the
plate (this will prevent the brinjals and gravy getting stuck to the vessal.
Keep a watch every five minutes and turn the vegetable and gravy without
breaking the brinjals, so that it does not get burnt.
• Once tthe brinjals are half done add salt and cook for 10 minutes.
• Garnish with green coriander leaves, tomato slices and cream /
fresh butter and serve with hot plain "basmati rice".
More Brinjal recipes